Friday, June 30, 2006

Goodbye, My Toshiba (Meet My New Baby)

This past two days, I’ve been walking on air and hugging a precious white thing on my arms like a long-lost lover. The precious white thing happens to be a new Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop. At this very moment I am stroking its soft keys as I watch my thoughts appear on the pristine wide screen. Once in a while, I glance at its smooth white casing (a Mac it's not but I'd settle for this). Any tech whore will get a natural high in having this new plaything.

After more than a year of sitting in my corner, silently weeping and slaving on my fully-depreciated laptop, I finally earned enough good feng shui points for our company to bless me with this new baby. Good things really come to those who wait. When this baby arrived, I went immediately to our VP Finance and asked her to check if I got the right unit. The set was really beautiful and I was containing my excitement just in case there was a mistake. I can’t deal with disappointment on a tech-y level.

After checking the invoice amount, this baby was declared officially mine. I spent the most part of my day transferring files and installing programs to give this baby the signature Bernard mark. Then I readied my old trusty Toshiba laptop for its next heir apparent. I removed all the files that has maxed out the hard drive and exhausted most of its memory.

So to my old Toshiba laptop, thank you and I wish you well. It pains me to see you go coz we have shared so much history in this past 3 years or so. You were with me during the nerve-racking presentations and very seldom did you fail me. On the few times that you did, I understand that it is only out of sheer exhaustion coz we worked overtime days before that. You were with me in the late of night and in the wee hours of the morning, analyzing data and compiling reports while cheesy pop music blares from your speakers. We both work while sharing a bag of Lay’s Salt & Vinegar and we would laugh at the crumbs left in the corners of my mouth and in between your keyboards. And who can forget the time when my boss spilled Pokka green tea on you while we were in a major meeting. You remembered my lessons on being tough and didn’t succumb to the liquid invasion. In no time you were working like nothing happened.

I now bequeath you to your next owner who I am sure will take care of you. Do not be jealous of my new baby coz you will always be the first. And I will just be a workstation away, we will still see each other often. You will still be under my watchful eyes and God knows what I will do if I ever see you being maligned. I will keep the number of Bantay Laptop (a.k.a. Mikokak) handy, just in case.

Be nice to your next owner as you were with me. I know you’ve had your tantrums in the past but I managed to appease them. Do not conk out when she is at wit’s end preparing her business review. Do not hang just when she is so engrossed in work that she forgot to save her current working file (but then you have always had this amazing recovery capacity). Keep your power cord tidy so she will not accidentally trip on it and unplug it, turning your power off. Be patient with her as she has more supply of Pokka green tea than our boss. I am not sure if you can take another liquid attack.

And to my new Toshiba, fret not. You cannot find a better owner than me. Here’s to all the presentations and datawork that we will be doing. Cheers!

Whoa! I can’t believe I just wrote an ode to my old laptop and a toast to the new one. I really need to get a life.