Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Remembering 9/11 and the Storm of the "Milenyo"

Sunday, First of October, 7:49 AM

Mood: Bordering on stressed-out and panic-stricken

Mood Music: You Wouldn’t Like Me (Tegan and Sara), Lonely Day (Phantom Planet), Waiting On The World To Change (John Mayer), I Want To Fall In Love With You (Jars of Clay),

I am about to dive into another hell week…which will most probably turn to hell MONTH. So to rep myself up, I will indulge in the best stress-buster I know of…WRITING. Please bear with this deluge of thoughts, as I have been holding them back for the last few weeks or so.




REMEMBERING 9/11

September 11, 2001. I remember coming home late from my work then as a writer/researcher/artist for a publishing company. The people in my house were already asleep and I was about to have a late dinner in front of the TV. What I saw on CNN news was one of the biggest shocks of my life. I saw the images that this generation will not easily forget.

I recall fearing that a similar attack was happening in Manila, at first confused on which World Trade Center the news was referring to. Then I woke up my sister and we watched the horrific images again and again. It was like watching a sick reality show or a demented “B” action movie. Yes, at that time, I was thinking that maybe this is the end of the world.

Five year hence, the dark cloud of terrorism still looms. It is ironic that while technology is making the world “small” and accessible, diversity (be it religion, race, even belief) is further dividing the human race.

Why can’t we just live and let live?



FROM THE DARKNESS CAME THE REAL “GLITTER”

While, September 11 is the one of the darkest days in modern history, it also marks the darkest day in the personal history of a pop music phenomenon. The WTC attacks coincided with the release of universally-panned “Glitter” soundtrack by the then-infallible Mariah Carey. Like a bad omen, the album cover for Glitter featured the Twin Towers of WTC.

For the record (pun intended), the Glitter album wasn’t that bad (but the movie really sucked). Yes, it was lackluster compared to Mariah’s previous efforts like the groundbreaking Daydream album and Butterfly. Some of the gems in Glitter include the songs Never Too Far and Reflections. It just got lost in the media hype on Mariah’s apparent emotional breakdown, the repulsive Loverboy video and the pressure from Virgin Records.

Now, Glitter is ancient history. While it could have easily been Mariah’s demise as a record-breaking singer, trust Mariah to turn it into a platform to greater heights. As we all know, 2005 belonged to Mariah Carey. She staged the biggest comeback for a fallen star, slapped her detractors in the face as she amassed critical and commercial acclaim with the biggest song that year (We Belong Together) and the best-selling album (aptly titled The Emancipation of Mimi).

Kudos to MC! I know it is very Oprah but I have always rallied behind the underdogs, the people who overcame personal tragedies and the people who made things happen despite of and in spite of.

Shout-out: Howdy, Francis (a.k.a Lestat), one of the biggest MC fan I know. Hope you are reading this and hope you are chasing your own rainbow in Canada.


STORM OF THE “MILENYO”

I was in (I think) in fourth grade when the last super typhoon passed Bulacan (Yoling, if memory serves me right). Me as a little boy felt afraid, excited and awe-struck at the same time. Afraid of what damage it might bring (especially the dreaded flood from a nearby river). Excited on the possibility of playing in the floodwaters. And I am awe-struck at the power than nature can muster, like a simple reminder that we are just a speck in the universe.

That same feeling hit me again last Thursday when Milenyo’s eye glared at Metro Manila. But this time I am more afraid than excited, though still awe-struck. It is not often that a category 3 storm passes through Manila. It is interesting to see how the supposed stronghold capital of the nation will hold up to a hissy fit from nature.

By noon, Milenyo had his presence felt. It is eerie to hear the wind howl and our building creak and groan in response. Our work was cancelled by noon (because power was out, not because of the perils of the storm, mind you) and I went out to witness Milenyo’s wrath from a safe distance. Call me a frustrated meteorologist and geologist but I have always been fascinated by the fury of nature. I was shocked to see that it was practically The Day After Tomorrow outside the office. The gale-foce winds were spectacular as it tried to blow everything away. I parked my car in a safer location and the car was practically shaking from the wind. After I re-parked, I was watching my car, afraid that it will get toppled over by the wind.

Since, power was knocked off, I decided to go home to Bulacan where there is water and power. I spent an hour and a half stuck in traffic in A. Bonifacio. Turned out a huge tree fell down near Cloverleaf so that only one out of the four lanes was passable. And all around me, the devastation feels like warp zone. The McDonald’s sign is now a “W” and Jollibee’s face is smiling even if he is hanging upside-down.

Apparently Manila’s megastructures cannot deal with nature’s wrath. Within an hour after Milenyo’s worst lashing, the wide-spread destruction is evident. Billboards fell onto buildings or passing cars. Even container vans were toppled over. Power was out in almost all areas because of electric posts fell like toothpicks (visions of electric bamboo posts for the future).

It is heart-wrenching to see the trees (which we badly need) that were toppled over. More than the billboards and damaged building, I think the trees are the most irreplaceable. It will take years before we can grow trees these big! I hope somebody will organize a campaign to replace these trees. Count me in!

One day after Milenyo and everyone is still reeling from its effects. I, myself have to spend Friday night in the car since there was no power in my house in QC. I only came home at dawn when there was some light. Only then did I sleep. Luckily, power in our office was restored by the next day so we had a refuge during the day.

Looking back, it was amazing how the telecom companies kept their service at the height of the storm. I just wished that they could have extended some public service and warned everyone via text where the storm really is and how powerful it is that everyone is advised to stay put until the worst is over. I think since Manila residents are unfamiliar with the perils of going out in a category 3 storm, some people still went out, resulting to cars that were crushed under posts or billboards.

Please help the victims of the storm. You can Donate-A-Load to Red Cross by texting RED and send to 2899.