Sunday, October 05, 2008

Hodgepodge (Early October)

THINGS I AM THANKFUL FOR (LATELY)

1. Wifi – one of God’s gift to tech-whore and workaholics like me
2. the Notes option on my phone – the next best thing to Post-its (for OCs like me).
3. Weekends with nothing urgent to do...just chillax (as A would call it). I usually start weekends like this by cleaning the room that I have neglected for the week (read: empty bottles here and there) and cap it off by blogging.
4. Flavored Water (Propel and Vitwater) – I know it’s weird but I just can’t drink flat out water (especially straight from the fridge). With flavored water, I can finally meet my liquid requirement for the day.
5. Spontaneous getaway for the weekend – better than those planned ones that don’t push through because of conflicting schedules.

***

RELEASE ME

Being a self-confessed music enthusiast, I have developed the uncanny ability to decipher a potential hit from a newly released album (of course, other than the carrier single). Friends, who have asked for burned copies of the songs I am playing, are surprised that some of those songs have not even been released in commercial radio/video channels.

Here are my recent discoveries. Download them before it gets released and jolog-ized by pop radio.

1. I Stay In Love (Mariah Carey, E=MC2 album) – should have been MC’s third single instead of I’ll Be Loving U Long Time. Here’s hoping she is saving this mid-tempo jewel to create buzz in time for Grammy nominations in November.
2. Latest Mistake (Mandy Moore, Wild Hope album) – the sweetest self-deprecating heartbreak song
3. The Best You Never Had (Leona Lewis, Spirit Album) – a killer it’s-your-loss-not-mine heartbreak song
4. Lesson Learned (Alicia Keys feat. John Mayer, As I Am album) – as earnest as Goodbye, another unreleased winning track from her debut album
5. What About Now (Daughtry) – I already handpicked this track since I first listened to their debut album. Now, they have officially made this their fourth single
6. Stupid For You (Marie Digby, Unfold album)

***

REVIEW CAPSULE

Winner:

The modern dance interpretation of Bleeding Love in ASAP ’08 about two weekends ago. It was refreshing in a jaw-dropping way. It was only ruined by the occasional misstep of Toni Gonzaga.

As of presstime, this has been imitated by that trying-hard-copy-cat rival show from the other network. As per C, the results were “super pangit.” Well, what can you expect from THAT show (SOP Sucks...hahaha)

Loser:

For The First Time. I have always applauded Star Cinema for walking the fine line between substance and commercial viability. For the first time... Star Cinema made a movie that is cringing in its blandness. I almost walked out of the cinema. When the movie lost its footing (around the time when the coosome twosome failed to settle their differences in Greece), it never recovered. The disasters just kept on coming: the family dilemma was so forced (unlike in A Very Special Love), Philip Salvador’s acting is so bad and only Candy Pangilinan and her unknown partner had some acting mettle. Given that the two leads only have beautiful faces to redeem their lacklustre acting, the movie should have been saved by a good script/plot. Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of Maalaala Mo Kaya (or even Your Song) episodes that are way better than this horrendous movie.

***

Office buddy C sent me this quote some months ago, during a time when it meant the most:

We can be fine even when others do not have a good opinion of us. After all, what matters is not what others think of us, but what we think of ourselves. And a truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent...”

Again... stone, stone in the sky.

***

Enemies make the most interesting friends