Sunday, March 08, 2009

Three Wishes




They say bad luck comes in threes. Well to balance things out, I’d say that good things also come in threes.

These past weeks, three of the people I treasure dearly celebrated their birthdays. I interact with two of them on a regular basis, even if the other one is miles away. The other one is a long-time friend since my “holy” elementary days.

This space will not be enough to express my appreciation and gratitude to this threesome. They have championed me in countless ways. I allowed them privy to my personal life but they never took it in a bad light. These are the people who hold on to what I am to them and not how I am perceived by other people. At the end of the day, they are the only people who matters to me.

In this life where you seldom meet enduringly great people, these three are definitely keepers. If I were to walk through life with just these people, I know I will be fine.

The Brother I Never Had

I am the eldest in a brood of four and my other two brothers are generations away, in age. Hence, I never had someone to talk to about things or guide me in my moments of weakness. Or someone who will tell me: “I have your back.”

He was my buddy from the first moment that I stepped into the halls of this corporate jungle. I can still remember how he patiently taught me to do excel worksheets during my first day. We instantly clicked coz we share the same passion in a lot of things: music, movies and madness (the good kind). From then on, he has been my run-to, even if we are now moving in different circles.

Two of my fondest moments with him include that out-of-town trip several years ago, with the old clique (before corporate pressure built the space between). And of course...our adventures and misadventures in a land far, far away. What an amazing race!

One of the best things about him is his unwavering principles. Like me, he gravitates towards what is true and what is right. Even if it meant going against the tide. He also has a deep understanding of human nature, something we also share mutually.

Above all, ours is a friendship that transcends the “P” world. And that says a lot. He has fought a lot of battles for me and with me. He has shown genuine support in all my decisions. He always understands my every move and shares in my every pain.

Bro, even if I want to spell it out here, I don’t need to. What you have done for me is beyond words. You know that you are the Simon who helps ease the cross that I bear. I am a better and stronger person because of you.

I wish that you will continue being the light for others. Happy birthday, B.


The Distant Best Friend

Hers is a solid friendship that crosses the distance. From the first moment I “met” her years ago, I was already at ease at her effortless companionship. I have always said that I have the talent for distinguishing if somebody will be worth my while. And her voice alone resonates with comfortable affection.

As the years dragged on, she became my distant best friend. Even if she is miles away, the warmth feels like she is just at arm’s length. She somehow knows when I am distressed, when I am happy. She has a staggering belief and trust in the person that I am.

In a world where realism is wrapped in self-preservation and fraud, she was breath of fresh air. Like with the aforementioned brother I never had, she was “real” to me, in the sense that she never played the “P” card. She is one of the few people who I allowed to enter my very personal space and the more she understood, the more she cared.

She was with us through the roller-coaster ride. She was caught in a personal crossfire, but she was brave enough to battle it out FOR us, not against each of us. She was with us through the laughter and through most of the disturbing silence. She was our sounding board because she will always listen and in the process will make sense of what we are going through.

For your birthday, I wish you wings and sky... and time to fly. I wish you a world that you can explore and that elusive happiness that will not depend on anything or anyone, but one that comes from within. I know you have it in you.

Happy birthday, M!


The Good Luck Girl

I have known her since I was transferred to that oh-so-religious school. She was one of the popular kids, being the daughter of one of the best English teachers. But it was only during our sixth grade that she moved into our circle. And we have stuck since then.

We fondly call her Jinx, because of all her bad luck and misadventures. But that was long ago. Now she is one fine lass and has fulfilled one of her dreams, to be a surgeon/doctor. She is now the resident jinx (LOL!)

We celebrated her birthday on the exact date (the first time this happened) coz thankfully she was not on duty. She told me how she was depressed the day before her birthday because one of her patients just died during surgery. And to think that they were just prepping him up for the surgery. It’s like he was gone before they can even do something. Add to that the finger-pointing on who should be responsible for the incident.

Lighten up! Don’t punish yourself too much. As I told you on our way home, things happen for a reason and there are things that are beyond our control. As cruel as it sounds, death maybe the blessing that your patient needs. As for your colleagues, they will always have something to say. Just do your work, do your best. They can never fault you for that.

For your birthday, I want you to make the most out of life. You were always and still remains the “safe” one. I know you had your share of misadventures but that doesn’t mean you will stop exploring. Experience LIFE.

Happy birthday, JA!


***

Photo courtesy of Photography_is_magic at flickr.

No comments: