Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Heatseekers (August 19, 2009)

It’s been almost two months since I updated the Heatseekers. I was either too busy or too few new songs have registered on my pop-o-meter lately.

Anyway, here are 10 news songs that are on repeat mode on my playlist and are current or future chartbusters:



Found (Phillip LaRue) - HOT PICK!
Notion (Kings of Leon)
Patron Tequila (Keri Hilson feat. T-Pain and Lil John)
Good Girls Go Bad (Cobra Starship feat Leighton Meester)
I Quit, I Quit, I Quit (The Click Five)
Fallin’ For You (Colbie Caillat)
Roll The Credits (Paula De Anda)
I Need A Girl (Trey Songz)
Love Drunk (Boys Like Girls)
Already Gone (Kelly Clarkson)


***

Speaking of Already Gone, Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce are in a catfight and caught in the middle is songwriter Ryan Tedder (of OneRepublic). The two divas are complaining that their songs Halo (Beyonce’s) and Already Gone sound too much alike. Which is really no surprise because Ryan penned both songs.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have noticed the similarity if they didn’t make a big deal out of it (marketing ploy?). Also because I never really liked Halo. The chorus is very Beyonce: shallow and repetitive (she is always at a loss for words/lyrics).

Moral of the story: Be real and “creative” artists. Compose your own songs so you are not in the mercy of producers and songwriters. Hay naku!

***

Lady Gaga, a recent Philippine visitor, is being touted as the new first lady of pop. I won’t argue with that because she has amassed five hits from her debut album The Fame. That’s no easy feat. But where does that place Katy Perry?

Stripped of her glitz and glam, I would think that Lady Gaga has ample talent. But I’m almost sorry for her because being a pop phenomenon is self-destructing. They need to work double to sustain such interest and avoid being flashes in the pan. Think Britney.

She should also improve her interview skills; she responds robotically and comes off as a tad too phony. Like she was bored and tired. Well, being the new first lady of pop may be tiring.

***

It was disarming to see little girls sing and gyrate to Beyonce's Single Ladies. I saw it one time too many in children’s parties.

I have to again brace myself. Because the same little girls are now dancing to Nobody. Both English and Korean versions.

Where is Sandara Parks when we needed her?

***

What’s with the new Pussycat Doll song (Hush Hush) being promoted as “by the Pussycat Dolls feat. Nicole Scherzinger." Isn’t that already obvious? Like saying Fall Out Boy feat. Pete Wenz or Black Eyed Peas feat. Fergie. Or maybe this is one of the songs that were supposed to be in Nicole’s solo album that never saw the light of day.

The title is a dead giveaway.

By the way, SNN said that Nicole has backed out of Manny Pacquiao's new movie. Yeah, right. Like she was really "in." Law of probability says that a famous star like her should be making a B-rate Hollywood movie. Not a B-rate Filipino movie.

***

Sorry, I am in my TMZ mode.

No comments: