Saturday, August 01, 2009

My Cory Tribute: The Political Saint Who Made Us See Yellow

August started on a sad note. Still half-asleep, I was fixing my bed when I got a text from my cousin: What happened to Cory? Is she dead? I hastily turned the TV on and I knew it before I saw the actual headline. Because Channel 2 is on a special news programming. And they only do that when something historic has happened.

And history it is. On the dawn of the first of August, the lights went out on the remaining beacon of Philippine democracy.



To us, she was the first female president and the mother of democracy. To the world she was the Woman Of The Year in the 80’s (a distinction that propelled her to the ranks of Queen Elizabeth) and an icon of democracy who inspired numerous non-violent demonstrations, even in repressed Europe, the bastion of autocracy.



She made us see yellow in a different way. For a country whose political climate is forever bleak and despondent, yellow means hope.

We know her life story because it became our country’s history. And it reads like a Cinderella fairy tale. A plain and quiet housewife who was thrust into the seat of the nation’s power. And tried her darn best to do a good job while at it.

I was just a kid during the Edsa revolution but even then, I have already felt the huge Aquino impact. I don’t know if I have seen her in person. I think I have, but I can’t remember exactly when and where.

In an unforgiving world where we are just as good as our last triumph, Cory was proof that goodness can prevail over the permutations of evil. We don’t remember the scandals that marred her 6-year reign; nor her misguided ambitions. She is best remembered for her honourable intentions (despite her limitations) to make this country better. How she married State and Church to make a potent synergy; which at the very least saved us and pulled us through those trying times.

Of course, the aura of humility, calmness and sanctity that never left her until the very end. She was saintly in her demeanour and I only saw this in one other person. Pope John Paul II.

The current administration has a lot to learn from her. For I cannot remember anything good or earnest from Cory’s contemporary (except her funny mole). Cory also leaves a legacy that the current president can only dream of.

If there is one thing I admired about Cory, it is her faith. And this is a huge compliment coming from me, an unwavering cynic of Catholic faith and its hypocrisy. Cory’s faith is rooted in sincerity and altruism. The way spiritual faith SHOULD be.



In the next hundred years, her smiling glass-rimmed face and the yellow ribbon will remain powerful symbols of hope and democracy. Not unlike her celebrated husband. They will be revered as modern-day heroes and deservingly so.

This country is always one breath away from political unrest. Cory, our political saint is gone. She will not be there to march or pray with us. As a nation, we have to learn from her legacy and the bitter lessons of our history.

This blog serves as my yellow ribbon.



***

Hours after the official announcement, the international news networks were already tolling their bells to the tone of Cory’s demise:







***

Original post on www.barnieboi.blogspot.com.

No comments: