Friday, May 02, 2008

Mixed Signals and Birthday Wishes

Sometimes, even if you have the power to do so, you quell the urge to lash back and inflict an equal amount of pain (karmic relief if you may call it). Yes, you have a higher probability of winning that battle. But often there is no point in doing so. Sometimes you just have to let things be, if only to prevent matters from getting worse. Or sometimes you are just too world-weary to give a damn. So you end up swallowing everything and clinging to that wild hope that they will LEARN, or understand at the very least.

You learn to live. You live to learn.


***

Some people just refuse to let go.

Last weekend I received a disturbing text from a former officemate. She said she heard that there were stories going around the office on why she left. She asked that I clear her name. I said I was not aware that her “ghost” has been resurrected.

Suffice to say, I find it kind of ridiculous that she was agitated about something that was so long ago. If feels like she wants to disturb the dust that has settled in the wake of her leaving. Why so… when she was supposed to be happier and better off where she is now? I thought that was redemption enough.

Maybe you can take the person out of the company but you can’t take the company out of that person. Or maybe, she hates being outside looking in.

In parallel, I heard stories about how a friend reacts when confronted about some touchy topics. It goes without saying that she still does not understand the rhyme and the reason. Oh well, that is the least of my problems. I’ve learned that dishing out the truth even if it hurts defines sincerity.

Here’s to you my friend: take your cue from our nonchalance, and most of all, from our silence. For everything we did and for everything that we turned a blind eye on, the least you can do is KEEP QUIET.


***

He came into our world with an air of static seriousness. At some point, I failed to connect and I have to ask the common friend to break the ice. I wanted to reach out because I recognize an unpolished gem when I see one (not that he was “unpolished”). But life has other plans of bridging the initial gap. It’s called shared experience and common goals.

He became one of the few true and sincere personalities I have encountered in our pressure-driven workplace. No politics, no agenda, no guarded moments. His best trait (other than his booming voice) is a bottomless reservoir of understanding and patience. Not to mention a dependability that defines true friends coupled with compassion that is elusive to most bosses. He reflected my philosophy of going after what is just and fair, at any cost. For in doing so, you can never go wrong.

He thought we lived in a black-and-white world. Until our Pleasantville workplace bled its iridescent colors. And we have to be mature enough to understand the colors and hues of the ever-changing kaleidoscope.

Happy birthday, T! I wish you well as you move on to other challenges. Maybe there…you will not be a “Shoppersville” anymore (lol!)

***


It takes great effort and a lot of planning to pull off a surprise birthday gig. With the many movers and shakers in our workplace, it took more than the usual connivance and temporary deception to coax birthday boy T in this secret place. After coming up with a lot of excuses and false stories, we finally pulled it off.

J and I went early to the hideaway to reserve the perfect spot. Our procrastination skills were rewarded with some star sighting. In the place we planned for T, actress AC was wrapping up some scenes. AC, as we saw with our own eyes, is one of the most drool-worthy faces in Philippine cinema. And she caught my eye not once but twice! I was immediately Curtis-ized.

Then came our own endorser AM who turned out to be more fit and (if possible) younger than the last time I saw him last February. It was funny how the girls kept shouting Quaker! Quaker! as they were feasting their eyes on his presence.

Anyway, the real star of the night finally came. Our surprise did materialize since he never found out that we were conniving all the while.

Happy birthday again and I hope I can borrow that hard-to-find PB Magazine! Haha!