Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Spanish Travelogue - The Journey To Madrid

Wow, this is surreal...but nice. Who would have thought that I'd be blogging halfway around the world...in Madrid!

It's 4:36 AM here and we just arrived about half an hour ago. Manila time is 6 hours ahead. What's cooler than the temperature here is that I am writing this blog using the Philips LCD screen and wireless keyboard in my hotel room. I am saving saving my laptop's battery because we forgot that Europe has a different electric power socket. Hopefully we can buy an adaptor later.

Whoever said that we will be having an easy time conversing with people here must have lived in the colonial era. Their brand of Spanish here is different. They talk quickly and in urgent bursts. Yes, we do catch a few words but it would be better if they were also at least half-fluent n English. Even the friendly front desk guy explained to me in Spanish how to connect to the internet and use the wireless keyboard. Thankfully, he knew the words "mouse" and "black cable" so I just took it from there.

THE LONGEST JOURNEY EVER

After spending Sunday doing some packing and last-minute work instructions and turnover, I was at the airport before 8AM Monday morning. I was reminded again why you have to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight. Their check-in lines are so inefficient and we even have to spend more than 20 minutes queueing for immigration. By the time we got through, we just have time for a pee break before we boarded our 10:45 KNL flight to Amsterdam.

Blooper #1: I forgot my hair wax in the car! Knowing me, hair wax ranks as one of my 5 must-haves in every trip (right after phone, wallet, iPod and before breath mints).


What do you do when you have 10 hours to burn inside the plane.

1. Have a sincere talk with your buddy, about life updates since you have not had a personal talk in ages. Be reminded that the workplace you abandoned for just a few days is getting more colorful by the day.
2. Sleep.
3. Eat.
4. Watch episodes of Entourage and Two And A Half Men.
5. Feed your premature homesickness by watching Alvin and the Chipmunks.
6. Sleep.
7. Eat. Do you know that they serve Nissin Cup Boodles in international flights? And red wine.
8. Sleep with drool.
9. Watch Superbad.
10. Forget your iPod and listen to the extensive CD selection on-board.
11. Sleep.
12. Eat.


Bryan was amazed at how I can lasts 10 hours with no bathroom breaks and how I was almost immobile while he was so restless in his seat. It's called survival in a cramped space.

Ocassionally, I would check the view of the terrain below. Imagine Google Earth, only more defined. Often it would be endless mountains or fields. I think we passed through most of what used to be USSR and Central Europe. The topograhy of this area is really postcard-perfect. It was my first time to see snow-capped mountains and their fields which are so geometrically perfect.

Finally, after 10 looooong hours we were in Amsterdam for the connecting flight to Madrid. We arrived there at 6 PM (12 MN in Manila). After locating our boarding gate, I did what I have to do... immediately buy hair wax at the Duty Free shop. My forgetfullness costs me 5 Euros for a tube of Loreal Hair Wax. The guy at the counter looked at my hair (ruffled from sleeping) and asked it I was to use the hair wax that very moment. I said no, my hair is fine, thank you very much.

The immigration lady asked us how long we are staying in Spain. I said two day tops. She made a funny face and asked if we were nuts for staying for only two days. I just said that we have work to do back home. As she handed our passports, she rolled her eyes again and said "Two days?!?" Like it was one of mankind's greatest sins.

The flight from Amsterdam to Madrid will be another 2 hours.

Blooper #2: Our plane seats were 30C and 30D, both aisle seats at the very back. The other two occupants on the both sides were couples with squealing babies in tow. While we already succumbed to our fate that we would hears creams and bawling throughout the flight, the stewardess asked us if we can transfer to another seat so that the babies will be more comfortable. With a sigh of relief, gladly moved to much better seats.

We arrived in Madrid at 2AM (8AM in Manila). There are only a few people in the airport and since we did not see anyone carrying the event signage, we called up the contact person and we were told to proceed to Exit 6. There we met the othe rep from the Philippines and eventually we were fetched by an old man who resembled Heidi's grandfather (Heidi from the cartoon adaptation of the children's classic).

We boarded the bus with the other event participants. Since it was past midnight, my first view of Madrid was in its deserted, sleepy glory. It was very quaint and neat. Very promising. I can't wait to explore it tomorrow.

The bus ride to the hotel took us almost two hours and I slept through half of it. When I awoke and realized the elapsed time, I joked to Bryan that we were already in Barcelona.

Anyway, I need to catch a few more ZZZZZZZs since we have a full day ahead. Sorry, no pictures for now as I am only using the uber-cool TV screen as computer. Meaning I can't upload the photos.

Hasta la vista for now.