Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Fragments #4

In one of those random spontaneous moments, we went ahead with a long-time plan. A trip to the movies on a Friday night. I was at first nonchalant about it. I won’t be a victim of their “Best In Drawing” acts. My philosophy: Ok if we go, alright if we don’t. And of course “Kung gusto may paraan, kung ayaw may dahilan.”

But low and behold, we were at the mall as soon as we wrapped up some last-minute work. We deserve this after all. We didn’t have some time off last weekend because of some VIP guest from abroad. We prepared damn hard for it...short of rolling a red carpet and hanging garlands on their necks. I know. Very GMA Supershow. (Shish, this so dates me. I’m sure the kids of today have no idea what I’m talking about).

We got LFS tickets to Knowing. They said it was a horror flick but when I read the posted summary at the ticket counter, apparently it was an apocalyptic suspense-thriller. For the record, I don’t like Nicolas Cage. He is so over-rated. I remain dumbfounded at how he managed to snag an Oscar with Leaving Las Vegas. But I did enjoy the two instalments of National Treasure. I remember watching the second part on the loooong flight to Spain last year.

But I digress. As we wait for the last full show schedule, we went to H&E to wolf down a full meal complete with a free dessert courtesy of the tons of coupons from V. Lately, I decided to turn semi-vegetarian again so I tried their vegetarian omelette. It was so good that you don’t realize you are eating bell peppers and zucchini. Five spoons for that. But the sourdough bread was so ordinary. Half spoon for that.

At 10:30, we entered Cinema 7 of Trinoma.

I will not post a full review yet of Knowing. I know majority have yet to watch it. But to sum it up, it was an enjoyable movie. The suspense was unbearably effective that I would lower myself on my seat to prepare myself for the moment (I think I lowered the seat too much it stuck). There was a time when I had to close my eyes. V would smother my arm every time the whispering people would appear. And AD would scream that she can’t take it anymore and is ready to run out anytime. Only P seems unaffected. Either she was far from me that I didn’t notice or she can’t see clearly. LOL, peace!

The catastrophe/disaster scenes remained frozen in my mind. They seem shockingly real. My tooth reacted at the sound of metal ripping against metal (Sensodyne, please!). I just didn’t like how the story ended. But the message it puts across is earnest and honorable. Expect a full review soon.

Sidebar: About a month ago, I had no choice but to watch a movie at The Block. This will mark the last time that I will watch at any SM Cinemas (except perhaps, MOA). Their cinemas suck. I didn’t know the Balcony-Orchestra partition still existed. The seats are hard, the floors are sticky. The viewing crowd was rowdy and inconsiderate, to say the least.

This memory whizzes back as I was enjoying the movie at Trinoma. To compare, Trinoma Cinemas has plush seats and nice CRs. The THX sound was so fantastic that there were times when I really had to look sidewards and backwards because the sounds seem to be coming from there. And the crowd was well-behaved.


***



I am writing this blog in darkness. Earth Hour began 19 minutes ago.

I am only using the screen light. And there were some light streaming from the street lamps (shame on our municipals heads for not observing this advocacy). Kinda hurtful in the eyes but that’s only a small price to pay for helping the Earth.

I’m really glad that media and social networking (even texts and blogs) was very active in promoting this Earth Hour. This may be a small act on our part but if a million of us will do this, the collective effect will be immense.

Update: I heard news this morning that Philippines was the #1 participant in this global Earth Hour (according to Worldwide Wildlife Fund). Finally, something we can all be truly proud of! We even beat Australia (the proprietor of the Earth Hour). It shows we are a nation that cares.


***

I’ve always rooted for the underdogs. Those who are always flying under the radar and refuses to succumb to the trappings of superstardom.

Ever since she offered us Candy, I’ve been smitten.

This is her latest work and last week they released the track list and cover.



The cover is a bit too mature and seems incompatible to her folksy new music. It looks like her music is standard or traditional (think Michael Buble). Regardless, I am still mesmerized at her beauty.

Her new album is already on pre-order at iTunes. I’d order it if they allow it here in the Philippines. But I already have the lead single (I Could Break Your Heart Any Day Of The Week). It’s a fun, tongue-in-cheek, mildy sarcastic, folksy song reminiscent of Sheryl Crow’s Soak Up The Sun. I don’t know why local radio still doesn’t have it. Oh well, the downside of being indie (Moore is on an indie label, released through a major label. Yeah, it’s complicated).

Her official website also sports a new look in preparation for the new album release. She is also a blogger and these are excerpts from her blog. I have to say that we have the same “writing voice,” if you know what I mean. Check out for yourself.

“I'm fully aware that when some people hear my name in a musical context, it's not often equated to anything earth-shattering. Yet, in many ways, this new record finds itself in a similar vein to the previous one, "Wild Hope." While “Amanda Leigh” was recorded in a much more concise period of time, both albums just feel like a real body of work, more connected to each other – both personally and musically.

When starting to really brainstorm about where the next musical venture should live, I decided to reach out to a few favorite artists of mine to see if they'd be interested in collaborating. I met Mike Viola. I quickly realized that Mike and I shared a love of so much of the same music and he innately understood the direction my music was taking me and where I wanted to take the music.

Suffice it to say, our common admiration (or perhaps, obsession) for the likes of Todd Rundgren, Joni Mitchell, CSNY and Nilsson, among many others, ran amok throughout the writing and eventual recording experience together.

From my perspective, the process of co-writing is rather vulnerable and can often be fairly hit or miss. It really takes the right partnership to allow honesty and comfort to reign. What worked so well with Mike and I was that we obviously brought different things to the table but worked from the same place.... we had one common interest in mind. We pushed one another and never thought twice about fearlessly stepping up to the plate with any and all ideas.

Sure, it was a deviation from the way I've recorded music in the past, but it felt like the only way to go about working on this record."

From www.mandymoore.com.


How many pop stars do you know who can use the words inanely, concise, suffice it to say like they were everyday words ? And this is not from a ghost blogger writing for Moore. I’ve watched countless interviews of Moore and she really speaks this way.

I always gravitate towards the smart girls. I hate shallow people. Sorry, Ms. Spears.

***

I’ve re-mastered the art of indifference lately. After all the trauma and the drama, I have treaded a path that is perpendicular or sometimes parallel to my self-proclaimed Dementors . I am in a different plane. You do the math.

Cold blood is a shock to my veins but I welcome it. My caustic venom level has resurged.

***

The ink is running toward the page, it's chasing off the days
Look back at your feet and that winding knee
I missed your skin when you were east
You clicked your heels and wished for me

I know the world's a broken bone
But melt your headaches, call it home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me. Nr lang ako kasi natatawa ako kay L