Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Sign of The Times

There comes a point in our lives when we accept that we are older (not old...OLDER...to put it in perspective). While I can exude childish preppiness and playful immaturity (ayowkoh!) at the drop of a hat, I can be the mature Kuya (or Lolo, as my younger colleagues playfully call me) figure as well. And experience is something you cannot downplay. Unless you are someone who, in vernacular...lumaki nang walang pinagkatandaan.

This creeps into our conversation one fine lunchtime. We are talking vacations. And us Thirty-Somethings acknowledges that time off for us means being away from the places that are literally crawling with people. Yes, malls and beaches. They can give me a headache. I will go to these places but during off-peaks. Never in the heat of things.

How can you relax in that environment?! You line up for hours to get your food or to go to the CR. A couple is bickering a few miles away from you. A high school clique is having too much fun, thoughtless of the people around them. Someone is playing jologs music from a loudspeaker. Or worse, performing a public videoke spectacle. Then you bump into someone you don’t wanna see. Polite conversation. Poker face (Mmmmm…mamama).

No surprise as I am a self-annointed Anti-Social. Although my work has greatly enhanced my social networking skills, I will still choose the quiet of seclusion over the revelry of any social gathering. And if ever I will attend such get-togethers, I’d prefer an intimate circle with few solid friends. Thank you but no Tupperware parties for me. I’ve thrown peer pressure to the winds when I reached 27.

D says she doesn’t go out often coz she has nothing to talk about when she hangs out with friends. Same here. My life is moving but at the same time stationary. And I like it that way.

Here I am in a secluded coffeeshop. The smell of caffeine is intoxicating. An apple-oat loaf on the side, a new favorite. Blogging my heart away. An earmarked novel in my messenger bag. I’m waiting for a dear friend for some intelligent conversation.

Ahh...the life!

1 comment:

TomP said...

Finally found time to view your blogs. Guess you're really older now. Welcome then to my strata..hehe. Don't worry, when I turn Forty-something, I'll let you know how it feels to be one.