Monday, April 27, 2009

So Sick...

Hey there everyone! I realize I have not been blogging as fast as I should. The last blog I posted was last Tuesday; but I wrote it over the weekend. And what kills me is that some of my dear friends have or will celebrate their birthdays and I haven’t written my token blog (What kind of friend am I?!). I will just roll out those birthday greetings in one heart-melting blog one of these days (Promise!).

I have the perfect excuse. I was Ne-Yo this past week. So Sick.

This is my worst bout with sickness and I can’t believe I was already a few steps from the O.R. door! No, please, no! I’ve lasted thirty years without having been hospitalized, more so undergoing surgery (well except that rite-of-passage surgery that male tweens go through).

Monday, April 20

I woke up early Monday with the beginnings of a flu. But I ignored it coz we have a big product launch that day. During the launch, the microphone was not working well so we decided to ditch it and instead relied on our ever-capable loud voices. I was bellowing to be heard, especially during the fun and highly-charged game.






After the launch, I ran out of adrenaline and all the flu-ish symptoms came rushing back. I was also developing a sore throat from all the shouting.

Tuesday

I decided to take a sick leave so I can shake off the flu. Our business review presentation will be on Thursday so I have to regain my stamina for the next two days.

Wednesday

I had to work and finish the BR presentation. My body was a wonderland and cooperated with me. I thought I had kissed the flu goodbye. But turned out it can be like someone you know. A traitor.

Thursday (Business Review Day)

I hitched a ride so I won’t tire myself driving. I was there early and then I started having chills. It was only when room filled with people that the cold feeling dissipated. Good thing that my presentation just took several minutes. Maybe they pitied my sickly look and wobbly voice so they did not interrogate me as much.

But then things took a turn for the worse after that. I first had after a separate meeting with MB and KG to finalize a surprise for a couple of friends. A surprise that I will not be able to attend because of this sickness (please see invites I made below). Too bad.



I returned to the office and then it hit me and engulfed my entire body. I started having a very heavy feeling so I decided to just sit and maybe sleep if off for awhile. Yes, at the office. Maybe I am suffering from a “binat” (I wonder what the English word is for that?).

I was feeling so sick that I realize I couldn’t drive myself home that time. Later, my colleagues will find out that my hotness has reached a new level (and not the sexy kind) and they will panic over it. They gave me some cold compress and medicine until a few breaths later I was feeling well enough to drive.

Thanks to P, V, D and KE who played nurse at the height of my delirium. Pwede na kayong mag-asawa! Haha. Really, guys, thanks a bunch!

Friday – Sunday

I decided to go home to Bulacan for medical consultation and home care. I visited a throat doctor and he said I have an abscess on my throat. And the horrifying news is that I might need a surgery to remove it. Whatever, doctor! We decided to look for a second opinion and I was also given some antibiotic medicines in the hopes that it might still reverse THE thing.

Over the weekend I took the medicines and it seems to help. I can now eat, drink and talk almost normally. Too bad I cannot sing yet (gasp!). Whereas before even swallowing saliva hurts.

I was asked to stay away from coffee, chocolates, anything sweet and anything cold. Like they told me NOT to live. What am I without chocolates and coffee?!? They are like air and water to me.

Thanks to my dear friend, Dr. Jinx who was my doctoc-on-demand even if she was enjoying herself in Boracay.

Thanks also to friends and colleagues who have been sending well wishes for me to get well, along with reminders that I should take a breather.

What have I learned from this ordeal?

* That I should learn to drink water. And flat water at that (not cold, not warm).

* That I am not young anymore. My body is not as self-correcting or self-healing as before. So I really have to check with the doctor if something goes wrong and not try to weather it out as I normally do. Otherwise it will just get more complicated (I almost fainted at hearing the word operation).

* Your work will not take care of you (even if you have highly compassionate colleagues). So you have to give your body some R&R, a needed respite from all of the stress and rigors of the workweek.

* Being sick is v. boring! I can’t sleep but I also cannot read or watch TV either. And my iPod does not offer much comfort also. I drift in and out of sleep and had some really weird dreams in the process.

* There is life without coffee and chocolates.

I can’t wait to get back to LIFE. Hopefully I can get back to work on Wednesday.

Until laters!

No comments: