Monday, May 11, 2009

AI Update: Presenting…The Boy’s Club

Before that, just an erratum for my previous American Idol update blog. The theme two weeks back was bratpack standards (you know, the big bands) and not jazz. I really get confused with these music genres. And the best performance for me that night was Matt Giraud and his My Funny Valentine. As Simon said, it was splendid. But apparently that was not enough to save him for the second time.

Hands down, the Top Five has talent and brimming potential. So from that point forward the contest turns into a popularity and showmanship competition.

This week, the theme was rock and roll. My hectic schedule only allowed me to catch snippets of the performance night.



Of the remaining four, I will say that Kris and Danny will have a difficult time exploring rock music. And from the judges’ comments, I think it was indeed Kris who hit rock bottom performance-wise. I loved his song choice, though (Come Together, one of my most well-liked Beatles classic). Danny would have been fine but he tried a vocal calisthenics (a “rock scream”) that only Adam can pull off. As expected Allison and Adam gave astounding performances, henceforth being called rock god and goddess.

I just watched the results episode a few minutes ago. Kris was so shocked to be the first to be saved. I laughed at his Miss Universe expression (hands on mouth in the height of surprise).

Despite her astounding duet with Adam, it was Allison’s turn to go home. Which leaves us with three men and a title.



The performance night surely rocked with the return of No Doubt and Daughtry. I have been a fan of No Doubt since my college days (even before Don’t Speak became jolog-ized by pop radio). I remember Jaybee and I taking turns in playing their debut cassette (you read it right...cassette tape) in our dorm room. Their greatest hits CD (ayan...CD na) resides on my Fave CD stack.



Chris Daughtry was my personal pick during Season 5. Unfortunately he didn’t make the cut for the Final Two, giving way to Katherine McPhee and eventual winner Taylor Hicks. As we know, the careers of these two never really took of. Whereas, Chris formed a band and spawned the biggest selling rock debut in SoundScan history. If I were to choose five best albums from the past three years, their CD will be a sureshot pick.



Speaking of Daughtry, I have this curse that my bet usually ends up the as second runner up (also happened with Elliot Yamin). The current Top Five have all been my favourites at some point in time. And I have proclaimed that they are all deserving of the crown.

Lately, I have singled out Kris (ever since he sang Make You Feel My Love then Falling Slowly and She Works Hard for the Money). But the past two weeks has been way out of his league (he is more Jason Mraz than Rob Thomas). With this, I think he will be in danger next week.

The new American Idol will be crowned on May 20. My forecast: it will be a guy. Haha!

No comments: