Saturday, May 30, 2009

Decade…A Salute to the 90’s

I am forever Monsterized (disciple of RX 93.1, to the unfamiliar) but that doesn’t stop me from surfing the radio channels during commercial breaks.

Usually, I go home to Bulacan late afternoon on Saturdays and in that 1-hour trip, I only have the radio as company. Lately, I have discovered that 94.7 has a special programming on Saturdays wherein the play songs from the 90's (hence, Decade).

The 90’s might not be as creatively relevant as the 70’s and the 80’s but it was memorable for us. We spent our formative years (high school and college) in the 90’s and these songs became the background to our teen angst, juvenile rebellion and shots at first love. Plus the 90’s music was more enduring than the pop overkill that defined the new millennium (yes...Britney, Backstreet Boys, Nsync).

Listening to Decade really brings me back. I remember the mid-90’s marked the big shift from cassette to CDs and hence, the dawn of music piracy (hehe). I have most of these songs through those Referendum CDs. Remember them?

Here are some songs from that era that I will not mind hearing once again. Note that these are not the number one hits (or else this will be all Mariah songs). These are the obscure songs that somehow made its stamp into my turbulent teenage consciousness.

* More Than This (Natalie Merchant)
* Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen) (Baz Luhrmann)
* Being So Not For You (PM Dawn)
* Santa Monica and Break Me, Shake Me (Savage Garden)
* Secret Garden (Bruce Springsteen)
* No Rain (Blind Melon)
* Loser (Beck)
* Back to Good (Matchbox Twenty)
* Just A Little Time (Arkarna)
* Dayz of Our Lives (Bone Thugs N Harmony)
* If It Makes You Happy (Sheryl Crow)
* Five Candles (You Were There) (Jars of Clay)
* Don’t Fade Away and Deep In My Soul (Acosta & Russel)
* Who Will Save Your Soul? (Jewel)
* Freshmen (The Verve)

OPM
* Pain In My Heart (Second Wind)
* How Can I Be Sure (Agot Isidro)
* Tag-Ulan (After Image)
* Perfect (True Faith)
* The First Time I Saw You (Wiseguys)
* Fill Her (Eraserheards)
* All This Time (Side A feat. Sharon)
* May Pag-ibig Pa Kaya? (South Border)
* Running Away (Tunay Na Amo)
* To Be Near You (Viktoria)

***

My Music Library

Today I can browse through the 2,400++ songs on my iPod. But back in the day, I just have my trusty Walkman (my first high value personal purchase) and I carry about 5 casettes on my backpack. My music addiction began during my last year in high school.

The first cassette tape I ever bought was The Cranberries’ No Need To Argue.


Somehow I can’t remember the first original CD I bought.

I have the CD and cassette tape versions of about ten albums. One of them is Daydream by Mariah Carey. Three are from the local singer who is my all-time crush (initials AI). Two are from two hugely popular DJs who will deny these albums ever existed. Haha. I can still remember their autographed dedication on both CDs.

***

Sheryl Crow was one of the hottest discoveries of this decade. It started with All I Wanna Do from her debut album and her next two albums became groundbreaking modern classics.

Sheryl Crow did not register on my radar until her third, maybe fourth single. But a friend was a fan from the start. My friend was so ahead of the pack that he went to get her cassette tape when Sheryl Crow was only on the verge of superstardom.

Later we will realize that she was not THAT popular yet. Because when my friend asked for the Sheryl Crow cassette, the saleslady gave him... Sheryl Cruz.

No comments: